Buying Local could make your day! Many Pine Island residents and visitors gauge what kind of day they’ve had by whether they had to go “OTI”. (“Off The Island”!)
Other reasons to “buy local”:
1. Support the Pine Island economy: Because locally-owned businesses often purchase from other local businesses, when you purchase at locally owned businesses rather than nationally owned, more money is kept in our community.
2. Support community groups: Non-profit organizations receive on average 250% more support from local business owners than they do from large businesses.
3. Keep our community unique: Where we shop, where we eat, where we have fun – this all makes our community home. Our one-of-a-kind businesses are an integral part of the distinctive character of Pine Island and Matlacha.
4. Reduce environmental impact: Locally owned businesses can make more local purchases requiring less transportation.
5. Create more jobs: Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally and in our community.
6. Get better service: Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they sell, and who take more time to get to know customers.
7. Invest in community: Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in Pine Island’s future.
8. Buy what you want, not what someone wants you to buy: A broader range of product choices is made possible by local businesses each offering products and services based not on a national sales plan, but on their own interests and the needs of local customers.
The mullet and mangos won’t be as fresh, if you can even find them, unless you shop on Pine Island and in Matlacha!